Stay updated on the construction at Zoo Boise.
Zoo Boise is open during construction! Once finished, the new Gorongosa National Park exhibit will feature a variety of animals that can be seen in Gorongosa National Park, including wild African dogs, baboons, Nile crocodiles, vervet monkeys, otters, hyenas, saddle-billed storks, warthogs, nyala and southern ground hornbills. The exhibit will also tell the story of the agricultural, medical and education programs that are in place to partner with the local people. The exhibit will be a way for visitors to learn about all the components of a real life conservation project as it unfolds.
The campaign will also remove and update a number of exhibits that no longer meet modern zoological standards, including the primate house and aviaries. Instead, that area of the zoo will celebrate our history and better address our visitor needs with a stage, event area, covered seating for dining guests, and some new animal exhibits.
- Glass Panel Testing 11-08-18
Zoo staff had to test the strength of different glass panels for the new exhibits to ensure safety for guests and the animals. Here is a video of two of those tests.
- Crocodile and Otter Pools 11-02-18
Construction crews have begun to spray concrete and smooth it out for the crocodile and otter pools. Very cool stuff!
- Rock Removal in Former Hyena Exhibit 10-25-18
- Gibbon Building is Almost Completed 10-06-18
Construction continues at full speed! The Wild Dog/Hyena building is up and it has been dry framed in with a roof. The Gibbon Building walls are up and construction crews will start framing and roofing that building next week. In addition, we have foundations poured for our new stage, crane holding building, and one of the pavilions.
- Backfill Completed on Several Exhibits 08-18-18
- Foundations are Being Built 07-21-18
- Primate House and Aviaries Demolished 06-26-18
- Demolition Begins 05-21-18
- Tree Protection in Place 05-19-2018
- Digging Begins for Gorongosa Exhibit Foundations 05-16-2018
- Access to the Primate House is Closed 05-11-2018
Access to the Primate House and Aviaries are closed off due to the upcoming demolition. Access to the African Plains Exhibit is now through the gate next to the Penguin Pavilion.
- Construction on new Fence 04-11-2018
- Groundbreaking Ceremony 04-06-2018
City of Boise and Friends of Zoo Boise leaders broke ground on the new Gorongosa National Park Exhibit today. The exhibit, which will expand the zoo’s footprint by 1.5 acres, will also enhance Zoo Boise’s conservation efforts around the world. Learn more about the groundbreaking ceremony HERE.