Gorongosa National Park Exhibit is now open!
The new 2.5-acre Gorongosa National Park Exhibit features a variety of animals that can be seen in Gorongosa National Park, including wild African dogs, baboons, Nile crocodiles, vervet monkeys, otters, hyenas, warthogs, nyala and southern ground hornbills. The exhibit tells the story of the agricultural, medical and education programs that are in place to partner with the local people. It is also a way for visitors to learn about all the components of a real life conservation project as it unfolds.
Past Construction Updates
- Otter and Crocodile Pools Completed 06-12-19
- Gibbon Exhibit Now Open 06-08-19
- Updated Construction Photos 05-15-19
- Murals, Mulch, and Mighty Boulders 03-07-19
- Concrete Pouring 02-22-19
Concrete is being poured for the floors of the new anteater building, maintenance shop, and off exhibit animal holding building.
- Crocodile Exhibit Glass Installed 01-12-19
To install the enormous glass for the crocodile exhibit, construction crews had to use a crane that lifted the glass over the outside walls of the E.O. Wilson Science Center and into the roofless building. Inside the building, a crew was there to help guide the glass into the appropriate spot and finish the installation.
- Demolition of Old Anteater Barn 12-27-18
The old Anteater Barn has been demolished, because we are building a brand new anteater barn that will be better for the animals, zoo staff, and guests.
The old Anteater Barn has been demolished, because we are building a brand new anteater barn that will be better for the animals, zoo staff, and guests. Keep up with Zoo Boise's construction and expansion updates on our website at www.zooboise.org/blog.
Posted by Zoo Boise on Thursday, December 27, 2018
- Buildings Are Up 12-12-18
Even with the snow and cold temperatures, construction crews have been hard at work. The Wild Dog/Hyena building is getting its final finishing touches. The E.O. Wilson building’s walls are completely done and soon the windows will be installed for the otter and crocodile exhibits. At the front of the zoo, work continues on the plaza, stage, and new Gibbon Exhibit.
- Glass Panel Testing 11-08-18
Zoo staff had to test the strength of different glass panels for the new exhibits to ensure safety for guests and the animals. Here is a video of two of those tests.
- Crocodile and Otter Pools 11-02-18
Construction crews have begun to spray concrete and smooth it out for the crocodile and otter pools. Very cool stuff!
- Rock Removal in Former Hyena Exhibit 10-25-18
- Gibbon Building is Almost Completed 10-06-18
Construction continues at full speed! The Wild Dog/Hyena building is up and it has been dry framed in with a roof. The Gibbon Building walls are up and construction crews will start framing and roofing that building next week. In addition, we have foundations poured for our new stage, crane holding building, and one of the pavilions.
- Backfill Completed on Several Exhibits 08-18-18
- Foundations are Being Built 07-21-18
- Primate House and Aviaries Demolished 06-26-18
- Demolition Begins 05-21-18
- Tree Protection in Place 05-19-2018
- Digging Begins for Gorongosa Exhibit Foundations 05-16-2018
- Access to the Primate House is Closed 05-11-2018
Access to the Primate House and Aviaries are closed off due to the upcoming demolition. Access to the African Plains Exhibit is now through the gate next to the Penguin Pavilion.
- Construction on new Fence 04-11-2018
- Groundbreaking Ceremony 04-06-2018
City of Boise and Friends of Zoo Boise leaders broke ground on the new Gorongosa National Park Exhibit today. The exhibit, which will expand the zoo’s footprint by 1.5 acres, will also enhance Zoo Boise’s conservation efforts around the world. Learn more about the groundbreaking ceremony HERE.